Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Part 1 of 2: The Brazilian Mastiff and the Potbellied Pig

Have you ever driven down a street and seen a sign: aircraft may also use this road for landing? Or seen a street sign that says: aircraft only? If you haven’t, then you haven’t driven through an air park in Tucson where homes, planes, horses and wildlife share space. When I was heading to a house call a few nights ago and saw these signs, coyotes, jackrabbits, multiple Gambel quails  and the many homes that shared their backyards with private aircraft, I knew my GPS had mislead me. I had even been forewarned by my new client. Luckily, I still had cell phone reception and could get directions. Making house calls in unfamiliar areas around Tucson, the most frustrating experience is to be lost and not have cell phone reception.
I was heading out to euthanize a potbellied pig. He was weak; he was old and had been losing weight for a long time. I hadn’t dealt with one of these guys for many years, but I had done my homework and was prepared.

It took me so long to find their home that it was getting dark by the time I arrived.  The directions weren’t easy (I have a terrible sense of direction anyway), but when I passed their barn, rusting antique tractors and horse stalls, I knew I was in the right place.

As I pulled over to park, 2 huge dogs came running over to greet me. The Great Dane was quiet and friendly. His much larger companion wasn’t happy to see visitors; he barked and snarled as foaming saliva flew all over my dust covered car (I had just driven 3 or 4 miles down a dirt road to get here).  I assumed when I saw my client walking across his driveway that he would call off his guard dog, but he paid no attention. I wasn’t getting out while this snarling giant was waiting on the other side of my car door. Finally a woman walked out the front door and she thought to call this big boy to her side.

When I felt safe enough to leave my car, the first thing I asked was, “How big is that dog? He kind of dwarfs your Great Dane, doesn’t he?”

“He’s about 225 pounds. The only thing we could get that was bigger was a steer.”


I had to agree and you’ll have to wait for the next blog to hear about the pig.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your interest and comment. I'll be back to you as soon as possible.

Ken